This is a supplementary information topic. This section is to provide reference material on the topic. As this is not a specific topic in the legislation, this section is not scored and will not add to or appear on your dashboard.
Silica dust can cause both fibrosis of the lung and lung cancer. It is a common exposure with construction, demolition, road work, gravel/quarry work, and stone counter fabrication. Controls such as wetting when cutting materials are effective ways to reduce worker exposure.
TOPIC IS UNDER DEVELOPMENT
- Health Effects of Exposure to Silica Dust
- 1938 Video addressing the Hazards of Silica
- A clear message on the health effects of silica
- What Materials contain Silica?
- Typical Exposures to Silica
- Medical Screening for Silica Workers
- Types of Silicosis Shown with X-Rays
- Importance of Local Exhaust Ventilation on Tools
- Criteria of Vacuum Cleaners for Silica Control
- Worker Decontamination Booth